The M1VPN Shack is based around Yaesu Transceivers, and has been built over the last 16+ years of operation.
Homebase Transceiver Equipment and Accessories
- Yaesu FT-2000 - 160m to 6m HF Transceiver. (Home-base Radio)
- Yaesu FT-847 - 160m to 70cm Transceiver, including 4m. (Home-base Radio)
- Yaesu FT-857D - 160m to 70cm Transceiver (Portable and Mobile Radio)
- Yaesu VX-2E - 2m/70cm Transceiver (Hand Portable/APRS)
- ADALM-Pluto SDR - Remote SDR for Weather Satellites, and experiments.
The FT-2000 is the home QTH radio, coupled to a Yaesu MD-200A8X microphone with a Yaesu VSPC and a Heil HC-4 DX Dream Machine insert in the spare bay. Additional outboard audio from Behringer Xenyx 1002USB and Audio-Technical BPHS-1 Broadcast Headset, into the FT-2000.
The FT-847 is the home QTH HF/VHF and UHF radio, including 70Mhz (4m) and my dedicated digital modes radio supported by a Tigertronics SignaLink-USB, via the data port and AEA PK-232 TNC for ISS Packet.
All home base radios are switched through a Palstar AT-2K Tuner, connected to the external antennas.
Antennae supporting the home station are :
- 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 15m, 10m - Hustler 6BTV DX Vertical (fed with DX Engineering VFCC H05 Balun)
- Offset Center Fed Dipole - OCFD home designed and built. (80m - 6m) - See OFCD Dipole (Windom)
- Solarcon A99 - WARC Bands and 10m.
- Watson V-2000 Co-linear 6/2/70cm Vertical
- QFH antennna - NOAA Weather Satellites
Antennas are fed with SSB Ecoflex 10.
Array Solutions AIM 4170C VIA Antenna Analyser
Current Home QTH (2012 - date )
- Lat/Long : 50.48.53 N, 3.11.44 W
- IARU : IO80jt
- CQ Zone : 14
- ITU Zone : 27
- WAB Square : ST10
- DXCC : 135
Previous Home QTH (2003 - 2011) - 50 44.930 N, 3 16.990 W - IARU IO80IR
Portable / SOTA Operations
The FT-857D is the main portable workhorse, and is used both portable when operating in SOTA and Backpackers, and as a mobile station coupled to a Yaesu ATAS-120A motorised antenna. This combination when configured correctly is excellent with the first contact after install being Brazil on 20m.
The following antenna's are used for portable operation;
- 2m - Tonna 9-ele Portable Yagi Array
- 2m - SOTA Beam 3-ele Portable
- 6m - Moonraker 3-ele Yagi Array (modified for portable operation)
- 4m - As 6m, but modified elements and spacings.
- 20m - Home-made SOTA Dipole (Pre-cut Inverted V configuration)
- 20m - 40m - Home-made Dipole (Ladder-fed Inverted V configuration, tuned with SGC-211 Autotuner)
- Yaesu ATAS-120A - mobile HF Screwdriver Antenna
Portable connectivity is via SSB Comms Aircell 7 or RG58U.